Where do I go to rename, group, or find devices?
You just installed Router Limits and are excited to get things going. You eagerly open the "Devices and Groups" page and see that you have five devices all named Apple, Inc.
You are wondering, "How do I know what device that is?" I'm so happy you asked. Let me show you how to identify a device on your account.
my.routerlimits.com allows you to quickly identify devices on your network. From any device on your network follow these steps to identify that device.
- Visit my.routerlimits.com on the device you need to identify.
- Click "Rename or Change Group."
- Enter your primary credentials.
- Select "Device Name" to rename.
- Select one of your groups to assign the device to a group.
- Click "Save"
Refresh your groups page and you will now see the updated information.
NOTE: This method is not supported by the RL-100, RL-150 and RL-160 routers.
First, let's find the MAC address on your device. A MAC Address has this format "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". Valid characters are only in the range of 0-9 (numbers) and A-F (letters). Look at the MAC Address carefully, it can be easy to read it incorrectly. For example, the number 8 can be mistaken for the letter B.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click "General"
- Click "About"
- Look for the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Open the Settings app.
- Click "About Phone"
- Click "Status"
- Look for the "Wi-Fi MAC address"
- On the keyboard push the windows key (looks like 4 squares in the bottom left of your keyboard) and "R" at the same time.
- Type "ncpa.cpl" without the quotes, click "OK"
- Double click your connection (Wi-Fi or ethernet)
- Click "Details..."
- Look for the "Physical Address"
- Click the Apple icon in the top left.
- Click "System Preferences..."
- Click "Network"
- Select "Wi-Fi" or "Ethernet"
- Click "Advanced"
- Click "Hardware"
- Look for "MAC Address"
- Modems/Routers usually have a sticker on the bottom that states the MAC address.
- TVs/DVD/Blu-Ray/Gaming Systems can usually be found in the settings/network menu.
Once you have found the MAC address, we can use the search box to quickly find that device and give it a friendly name (aka rename the device).
The MAC address for each device is displayed on the device details page. When you are on the "Devices and Groups" page of your account, click the menu icon of a device (the three dots) and click More Information. On the device details screen, you will see the MAC address.
Keywords: device discover find