You just installed Router Limits and are excited to get things going. You eagerly open the "Devices and Groups" page and see that you have five devices all named Apple, Inc. You think "How do I know what device is what?!?!" I'm so happy you asked. Let me show you how to ID a device on your account.
my.routerlimits.com allows you to quickly identify devices on your network.'From any device on your network follow these steps to identify that device.
- Visit my.routerlimits.com
- Click "Rename or Change Group"
- Enter your primary credentials
- Select "Device Name" to rename
- Select one of your groups
- Click "Save"
Refresh your groups page and you will now see the updated information.
This method is not supported by the RL-100, 150 and 160
First, let's find the MAC address on your device. A MAC Address has this format "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". Valid characters are only in the range of 0-9 (numbers) and A-F (letters). Look at the MAC Address carefully, it can be easy to read it incorrectly. For example, the number 8 can be mistaken for the letter B.
- Open Settings
- Click "General"
- Click "About"
- Look for the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Android Phone
- Open Settings
- Click "About Phone"
- Click "Status"
- Look for the "Wi-Fi MAC address"
- Windows Computer
- On the keyboard push the windows key (looks like 4 squares in the bottom left of your keyboard) and "R" at the same time.
- Type "ncpa.cpl" without the quotes, click "OK"
- Double click your connection (wifi or ethernet)
- Click "Details..."
- Look for the "Physical Address"
- Mac Computer
- Click the Apple icon in the top left
- Click "System Preferences..."
- Click "Network"
- Select "Wi-Fi" or "Ethernet"
- Click "Advanced
- Click "Hardware"
- Look for "MAC Address"
- Modems/Routers usually have a sticker on the bottom that states the MAC address.
- TVs/DVD/Blu-Ray/Gaming Systems can usually be found in the settings/network menu.
Once you have found the MAC address, we can use the search box to quickly find that device and give it a friendly name (aka rename the device).
The MAC address for each device is displayed on the device details page. When you are on the "Devices and Groups" page of your account, click the menu icon of a device (three dots) and click "More Information". On the device details screen, you will see the MAC address.
Keywords: device discover